While writing thank-you notes is considered to be an agonizing and long process, those who give gift should be thanked properly and expressively. Nevertheless, they did make a special effort to give a gift, whether the gift was like or not should not be taken into consideration.
Writing a thank you card is not as challenging as it would appear, it just takes a bit of time. Thank you cards should merely show gratitude and do not need to be the size of a small novel. The most significant thing when writing this note is to ensure that it is personal and meaningful.
Here are some important tips for writing a thank you note:
1. Don’t Procrastinate: When thanking a person for an act of kindness, like a dinner or a luncheon, always send the thank-you card the next day. When it comes to wedding and shower favors, they should be done within a month.
Some people think they have up to a year to send a thank you card for a wedding gift, not so! The sooner this card is sent the better. Some people may forget what they even bought if the card is delayed in being sent.
2. Take Time and Hand-write: Nothing looks cheesier than a typed thank you note. Take time and write the card by hand. Of course it is going to cramp the hand to write many notes at once, but these people made a small sacrifice, so it justifies the inconvenience.
It always looks more stunning when written on stationery or a special paper. Make sure to put new names and correct addresses, if there has been a change, in the letter. People love when those sending these cards pay attention to the smallest of details.
3. Include Something Personal: Rather than using the same card format for each person, personalize it. Put something distinct down for each person that makes them feel special, like “thank you for driving 100 miles to my wedding.”
4. Use Flattery: It is polite to go on and on about the gift as if it was the only one received. Make the person feel their gift was superior and super special.
5. State Your Plans for The Item: People want to hear that their purchase will be useful. If it is money, tell them that it is going into savings, or being spent on the honeymoon. If it is a beautiful vase, let them know how perfect it will be setting on the mantle of the new home. People love to have a fuss made over their gift and receive compliments on their fine purchase.
Still not sure about how to create the perfect thank-you notes, here is a sample format that can be altered and used for any occasion:
Sample Thank You Card for Wedding
Dear Uncle Albert and Aunt June:
It was delightful to see you at our wedding ceremony. It was wonderful to be able to devote some time to catch up on your lives. Our marriage was more significant knowing you were there and we truly appreciate the long car ride it took you to get here.
Thank you for the stunning red glass vase you gave to us. We were moved to learn that it was a family heirloom and we will treasure it continually. We placed the vase in our bedroom on the mantel for us to enjoy every day. I have already received so many compliments on the vase and look forward to sharing the family history of it with our children.
Thank you so much for such a delightful and considerate gift.
Allan and Jennifer Hodges
By Andre Bradley